Leader & Change Agent

Introduction

The IES program at Chapman University aims to create leaders who want and encourage change in our society as well as our classrooms. A leader is someone who demonstrates courage, bravery, understanding, and knowledge. Without leaders in our school curriculum, we could most likely still be in the stone ages of education. However, in order to be a change agent and be that representation, you must first learn how to be the leader you know you are and the leader people need. 

When I first came to Chapman I did not have a direct definition as to what I thought a leader was. In my mind a leader is  just someone who shows up and gets things done- never could I have imagined it was so much more than that. Though, Chapman has taught me that a leader serves those in and out of their community. A leader does not do these acts of kindness and bravery for their own benefit or because they think it will get people to like them, but they do it out of the goodness of their heart and the society. I am a leader who exemplifies kindness, love, respect, patience, flexibility, softness, strength, empathy, and so much more.  

Assistant Preschool Teacher

Since starting at Chapman, I have recently been given the opportunity to be an assistant preschool teacher at Pacific Preschool in Ladera Ranch. This was completely unexpected and oh so rewarding. Since arriving at Chapman I have wanted to become a preschool teacher. Chapman has thankfully been preparing me for a moment like this for about 3 years. I have been doing nothing but demonstrating and learning how to become the leader I need to be and the change agent these kids are looking for. 

After starting my new job about two weeks ago, I have had a few chances to work with a few different classrooms ranging from pre preschoolers to preschoolers to kindergarten. They have been allowing me to experience all the different age groups they offer. When working with the pre preschoolers I was able to work with half of the class outside at the Sensory Lab. This was a big deal to me because it was the first time I was being left alone with kids and I had to be a leader to them and ensure that they don’t make a mess and that we all stay together. I stood my ground and acted as a leader when I told them to clean up and line up. I demonstrated my leadership when I held up the silent coyote sign to get them to stop talking. 

Chapman University has given me the tools to become the leader I have always known I am. Through hard work and patience, I was able to land my dream job at my dream school. These kids will be my new beginning and a fresh start to my life after Chapman. 

Leadership 301: Theory and Practice of Leadership

Leadership 301 was one of those classes you were not expecting to take but now cannot

imagine not taking it. I had the privilege to have taken Professor Presley for this course. This class was a last-minute course filler that I just thought why not. However, Professor Presely taught me so much more about leadership than I could have ever thought possible. He taught us that regardless of who you are or where you have come from, leadership is born, it is made by the person who is inside you, not from your background or where you originally come from. Professor Presley introduced me to a group of leaders that I got to call the semester group that helped show me how much I have to offer and bring to the table. They reminded me of how I am able to bring comedic relief to any stressful situation or project we may be facing which ultimately reminded them that everything was going to be ok. 

Chapman University was able to introduce me to this course on leadership that ultimately led me to write this midterm report. In the said report, I was given the opportunity to describe what a leader is to me. What a leader is supposed to be and mean. I got to explain and explore the ideas of leadership that I could potentially demonstrate to a class, my peers, or anything. I learned about all the theories that can be applied throughout different problems you may face. 

In this class, I learned how to be a leader and how to lead groups with several other leaders. I learned about teamwork and cooperation.  I learned that being a leader does not mean you are alone but quite the opposite. 

Church Camp Counselor

Every Summer I sign up for the same church camp counselor position with my mom, sister, and brother. This job consists of watching and leading a particular group of children. I typically go for the 3-4th grade kids. When I was younger I used to be one of those kids that were led, always looking up to the counselors wishing I was them so badly. Now I finally am and I know how to do it right. 

Being a camp counselor you have a big responsibility. You are in charge of watching about 8-10 kids for about 4 hours, going in and out of rooms, indoors and outdoors constantly interacting with the other children from other groups who are wearing the same camp shirts. The job sometimes tests your leadership skills, sometimes even bringing you to the breaking point of whether you are up to the challenge. Let me tell you, I am. I am able to juggle all 10 children while watching them run all over the blacktop playing water games, waiting to bring them to our designated lunch area, which slowly turns into taking them into arts and crafts and helping them make mom a gift. Showing them how standing up for yourself or others when someone is being unkind by not sharing the glue or calling names, can make such a difference in someone’s life. Being the role model to these children, leading by example.

I learned that by simply being you and showing you are the leader, throwing small ways will go a long way with children- they look up to you and if you are practicing prosocial behavior and offering a safe environment they will too. 

Leadership 310: Emotional Intelligence, Leadership and the Good Life

My senior year, my last interterm course was Leadership 301 with Dr. Joe Pazmany, who was just an absolute star. This professor taught so well and made so much sense that for a minute there I almost last minute wanted to add Leadership as a minor. In this class, I did not just learn for the thousandth time what a leader is, instead it was personally focused on what makes you a leader. Now, I am not talking about general terms like to be a leader you need to have patience and understanding, no I mean he had us separated into groups and bonded with each other to the point where every Monday morning before class started my group and I would zoom and tell each other what about the other person exemplifies leadership. 

In this class, I learned that for my own personal learning plan to be a leader, I have to be able to look at my ideal self, my real self, my strengths, and gaps. I have to be able to identify my learning agenda as well as my experiments and practices. In addition to trusting relationships and looking at my timeline.