Ethically Responsible Decision Maker

Introduction

Decision-making alone is something everyone struggles with, now adding the pressure of making it ethical and responsible? Well, that’s tricky. At Chapman University I was given several opportunities to help me develop that skill of being able to make ethically responsible decisions. Though it did not come easy, the classes that were available for me to take made it enjoyable and interesting. 

As a teacher in the making, this seemed like a very important thing to learn. When you are in the classroom, you are responsible for twenty-something students who are looking to you for answers and protection. You are responsible for looking at small problems and fixing them, as well as high-pressure situations that call for an ethically responsible answer. With this profession, this IES program does everything in its power to ensure that the graduating student and soon-to-be teacher/professor is prepared and ready for that next step in their careers and lives. This mastery will not only assist you in the job but with your everyday choices as well. 

IES 301: Organizations Ethics, and Society – Summative Paper

To be completely honest, when I first started this class I was beyond confused. I was not one to ever really take ethics classes when given the opportunity. However, having this class be a requirement for the IES program was the best thing that could have ever happened. Unfortunately, I took this class second semester of my junior year which means I started it in person and ended it online. Luckily I had Dr. Younis as my professor for this course and he could not have handled it better. Teaching students how to understand and represent organizations’ ethics, and society over zoom was just as difficult as I could imagine. 

In this class, I learned that within the different organizations there are types of leadership that handle problems differently. That one may seek out the less ethical route if it means he gains more control but loses the respect of their followers, just as the other will choose the most ethical choice only to gain more followers and respect for making the right decision. In this class, we practiced using our ethical decision-making skills and what the consequences of being an unethical leader will look like. 

I am excited to say that I have learned the importance of ethical leadership. Without this guide, without this class, I fear I would have never known. I feel I would have not made the right decision when facing a rock and a hard place. I am thankful for this course teaching me that making the right and hardest decision will have the best and most rewarding outcome. 

Restaurant Management

Over the Summer of 2020, I was promoted to the restaurant manager. This was a huge chance for me because this would be my first time being given this opportunity. However, coming along with the job came a lot more responsibilities as well as ethical decision making. I was very uneasy and unsure as to if I could do this. I did not know if I could make the right ethical choices for the restaurant and not my own selfish feelings.

What I learned from this experience was that when someone is in a position of authority it is very easy to turn to the easier and most profitable of choices. I know there were times when I was working when I wanted to close up early because I was tired and did not want to be there any longer- however that would have screwed over the employee who was closing with me that night because they needed every hour on their paycheck to take care of their housing bills. I am ashamed to say there was a moment where I really thought about closing it regardless. However, as quickly as I was tempted I will be just as quickly over it- I knew in my heart that was not the right decision to make and that I needed to show that I was a confident and intelligent leader who cares about her employees and their welfare just as much as my own. 

IES 103: Philosophy of Helping 

For IES 102, I had the honor to be taught by Professor Jody Brown, who is hands down one 

of the most amazing professors at Chapman University. Jody Brown taught everyone in her presence what empathy, compassion, and warmth were like. When I was in this class I had the opportunity to take part in a thousand different fieldwork opportunities that benefited the community in some way. Whether it was physical or emotional. There was one particular activity in which we got to sign up to work at Mary’s Kitchen. This place was a safe haven to those on the streets who couldn’t afford, clothes, food, or a home. They were welcomed with open arms and love.

This class taught me so much, but most of all it taught me to not judge a book by its cover, and that all communities need someone who will fight to protect and help them. In addition, this class taught me that there are so many people in this world that need our support, whether it is the elderly, the homeless, orphans, those with mental and physical disabilities, and so much more. The IES program is not just a teaching program, it is a program that teaches us to love one another for every single thing that makes us different. That everyone is who they are meant to be and because of that we will accept and treasure our friends who are all around us. 

IES 315: Non-Governmental Organizations: Policy and Practice

What does it mean to be ethically responsible? Does it mean that you always make the right choice? What is the right choice? The selfish motive to feel good or really believing you would feel good but you just cannot make the decision? This was something I thought about often when taking this course with Professor Jorge Rodriguez. In my final paper for this course, I had to think and identify the themes. One of the themes was charity and its definition. Though is charity an ethically smart decision or is it corrupt? These are questions that Professor Rodriguez was stirring up in my mind.

In this course, I learned that no matter where you go in the career, where your path leads you after you graduate, even the smallest and most pure organizations leave people with the question if it was ethically responsible. If my decision to allow these large corporate groups to sponsor my small nonprofit organization was the ethically right decision. Yes, I get money from it, but I potentially lose control as well. Was all the money worth it or did I just ruin the opportunity to grow my nonprofit my own way and with the help of my close friends and colleagues. What I learned was less concrete facts but more questions and what to look for and what to think about when getting yourself involved in the business. And in my opinion, that is way better and way more useful.