Documenting Sicily through film: an alumna’s passion for the island

Gabriella Pinel, class of 2017, studied Italian at Chapman University while completing her B.F.A. in Television Broadcast Journalism. Motivated by her fruitful study abroad experience in Italy, she decided to move to Sicily after graduation to live in the small fishing village where her mother was born and raised. Recently she completed the short film “Bedda Sicilia,” which is a testament to the deep kinship and love that she has developed for Sicily and its people.

Gabriella: “As a documentary filmmaker, I saw this time as a great opportunity to better understand and tell the stories of my family and the incredible traditions that make Sicily the special place it is. When I wasn’t eating enormous amounts of Pasta al Forno, sitting along the rocks of the Mediterranean or playing Briscola with family members, I spent my time filming, writing, and traveling to discover this beautiful place. Sicily to me is unparalleled in its rich history, stunning landscapes, incredible cuisine, and most importantly, population of welcoming, affectionate, good-natured people. For years to come, I plan to continue to return to Sicily and other parts of Italy to share their stories with the world and hopefully implore others to discover the reason la vita è sempre bella in Italia.”

This entry was posted in Italy Today, Students Success. Bookmark the permalink.