CONSENT TO ACT AS A HUMAN RESEARCH SUBJECT
Possibility and Play: Game Writing and Game Studies as Liberating Praxis
You are being asked to participate in a research study. Participation is completely voluntary. Please read the information below and ask questions about anything that you do not understand. A researcher listed below will be available to answer your questions.
Department of English
(714) 532-7706 email@example.com
STUDY LOCATION(S): online, Chapman University
STUDY SPONSOR(S): Chapman University
No one on the study team has a disclosable financial interest related to this research project.
WHY IS THIS RESEARCH STUDY BEING DONE?
The purpose of this research study is to investigate how your conceptualization and practice of writing may or may not have been affected by studying the concepts of interactive narrative and game writing, and your intense work in designing and creating interactive narratives, both in the group projects in Twine, RPGmaker, or a game mod, and in your weekly tabletop roleplaying adventures.
HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL TAKE PART IN THIS STUDY?
I expect that 20 people will be in this research study. All study procedures will be conducted online via email, over the phone, or at Chapman University.
WHAT PROCEDURES ARE INVOLVED WITH THIS STUDY AND HOW LONG WILL THEY TAKE?The study has three parts: the questionnaire, follow up interview, and writing sample analysis.
- The first part of the study is a questionnaire that gathers information about what you remember of the theories and concepts of the Writing for Video Games course, and how you feel those theories and your experience in the class influenced or did not influence your writing—both academic and creative—after the course completed. It consists of nine (9) short answer questions, and may take you anywhere from 10-30 minutes to complete, depending on the extent of your responses.
- After I review and analyze your responses, I may contact you via email or phone to clarify, expand upon, or follow-up on your answers. If you would prefer, we could also meet on campus to chat more. I’ll take written notes, and send you those notes after our interview to review and annotate as needed. The interview could take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to complete. Not all study participant questionnaire responses will require an interview, and you may decline to participate in the interview at any time.
- Based on my data analysis from your questionnaire responses and/or interview, I may ask to review specific samples of writing that you may have referenced in either of those procedures. My analysis of your writing and presentation of my conclusions may necessitate the use of selected excerpts, summaries, or paraphrases of the sample work. This consent agreement includes the use of your submitted writing samples in excerpt (under 200 words), summary, or paraphrase form. I will ask that you email me the full work for my confidential analysis as a Word or PDF document. I will not retain any rights to that work, other than as listed above.
Participation in the study will include one online questionnaire and a possible email, phone, or on-campus interview, and take a total of about one hour over a period of two weeks.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS STUDY?
You can participate in this study if you completed the ENG 328 Writing for Video Games course at Chapman University.
You cannot participate in this study if you have not completed the ENG 328 Writing for Video Games course at Chapman University.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE DISCOMFORTS OR RISKS RELATED TO THE STUDY?
There are no known harms or discomforts associated with this study beyond those encountered in normal daily life. There is, however, the very small possibility that someone might recognize an excerpt, summary, or paraphrase of your written work and be able to attribute that work to back to you.
Breach of Privacy and Confidentiality: As with any study involving collection of data, there is the possibility of breach of confidentiality of data. Every precaution will be taken to secure participants’ personal information to ensure confidentiality.
ARE THERE BENEFITS TO TAKING PART IN THE STUDY?
The possible benefits you may experience from the procedures described in this study include an increased awareness in your writing process and craft as a result of reflection and analysis of your own writing.
You will not directly benefit from participation in this study other than an increased awareness in your writing process and craft as a result of reflection and analysis of your own writing
Benefits to Others or Society
Conclusions gained from the study will help better understand and develop effective pedagogies for using ludology, interactive narrative practice and platforms, and hypertexts in the writing classroom.
WILL I BE PAID FOR TAKING PART IN THIS STUDY?
You will not be compensated for your participation in this research study.
You will not be reimbursed for any out of pocket expenses, such as parking or transportation fees.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO STOP TAKING PART IN THIS STUDY?
You are free to withdraw from this study at any time. If you decide to withdraw from this study you should notify the research team immediately. The research team may also end your participation in this study if you do not follow instructions, miss scheduled visits, or if your safety and welfare are at risk.
If you elect to withdraw or are withdrawn from this research study, the researchers will discuss with you what they intend to do with your study data. Researchers may choose to analyze the study data already collected or they may choose to exclude your data from the analysis of study data and destroy it, as per your request.
HOW WILL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION BE KEPT?
Subject Identifiable Data
All identifiable information collected about you will be kept with the research data. This will enable me to follow up with you at a later day if I need clarification or additional information. Your identifiable information, however, will be kept confidential and secure (see below), and all data will be anonymous in any presentation or publishing of this studies results, unless the researcher is specifically directed by you, in writing, to attribute work or responses by name.
Research data will be stored electronically on a secure network in an encrypted file.
The researchers intend to keep the research data indefinitely.
WHO WILL HAVE ACCESS TO MY STUDY DATA?
The research team (Morgan Read-Davidson), authorized Chapman University personnel, and regulatory entities such as the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP), may have access to your study records to protect your safety and welfare.
Any information derived from this research project that personally identifies you will not be voluntarily released or disclosed by these entities without your separate consent, except as specifically required by law. Study records provided to authorized, non-Chapman University entities will not contain identifiable information about you; nor will any publications and/or presentations without your separate consent.
While the research team will make every effort to keep your personal information confidential, it is possible that an unauthorized person might see it. We cannot guarantee total privacy.
WHO CAN ANSWER MY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STUDY?
If you have questions, concerns, or complaints, or think the research has hurt you, talk to Morgan Read-Davidson at (714) 532-7706, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This research has been reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board (“IRB”). You may talk to them at 714-628-2833 or email@example.com if:
- Your questions, concerns, or complaints are not being answered by the research team.
- You cannot reach the research team.
- You want to talk to someone besides the research team.
- You have questions about your rights as a research participant.
- You want to get information or provide input about this research.
HOW DO I AGREE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS STUDY?
Participation in this study is voluntary. You may refuse to answer any question or discontinue your involvement at any time without penalty or loss of benefits to which you might otherwise be entitled. Your decision will not affect your future relationship with Chapman University.
By clicking the link below, you I agree to participate in the questionnaire and the possible follow-up questions and interviews.
Link to official IRB-approved Consent form: IRB-18-131_Consent Form_04-18-2018-2bwzbj6