My Experiences with Poetry

I’ve never gone out of my way to read a lot of poetry out there, most of my experience comes from the classroom. From what teachers exposed me to, I know that I am particularly fond of some of the works of Edgar Allan Poe and Walt Whitman.

Edgar_Allan_Poe_daguerreotype_crop

MTE5NTU2MzE2NDA0ODExMjc1Their writing is always profound, deep, and feels very personal. I like when I feel my own emotions overwhelming me through each visual description or comparison that I read. Poetry can sometimes tell its own short story, or just describe a situation in the moment. I like when poems have a sort of rhythm to them, even if they don’t rhyme. I also believe that some of the most powerful poems can be the shorter ones. When I’ve tried to write poetry, I think a lot about structure and having a connection between the opening words and the last. I listen to a lot of music, and even though I’m not reading them, the lyrics of songs I hear are very poetic most of the time. If I like a song enough, I’ll google the lyrics and read them for inspiration.