Subcultures, Cultures and Class

Hi everyone, for this week’s post, I am going to write an outline for the essay “Subcultures, Cultures, and Class” in The Subcultures Reader. It is a theoretical overview of different subcultures. The article of Subcultures, Cultures and Class focus on youth cultures and their different aspects from their parent culture. Youth subculture is defined as the ways young generation manage their lives by the different aspects of life including social values, practices, personal interests, music, attitude, vocabulary, clothes and sports. The concept of youth cultures is distinguished by age, behaviors, generation from the cultures of older generations in society.  Even tough, there are some similarities to other subcultures, the youth subculture is a life style based on costume, appearance, language, ritual customs, different styles of music. They are really independent and as well as care about social values as trust, respect, love and determination. Subcultures, Cultures and Class article emphasis the youth culture. The theme of the article is education. Paul E. Willis points out the social problems and challenges the youth subcultures face in their lives as a group in the article. When the author talks about the youth who joined a new community by transferring to another school demonstrates that how the youth generation deals with the changes in their lives. The cultures of older generations influence the youth subcultures because of being dominant cultures in society. Paul E. Willis says that youth subcultures form up on the terrain of social and cultural life. Some youth subcultures are regular and persistent features of the parent class structure: the ill-famed culture of delinquency of the working class- culture. I totally agree with the statement of author because the youth subcultures may treat in a different way by the effect of society and parent culture. Finally, the youth subcultures may differ from the main culture of older generations and live their lives based on the basic fundamentals of their cultures and traditions. They face social issues and challenges in the society they live in and respond them in a way their culture related to as a group.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Kerem. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kerem

Hey you guys. My name is Kerem. This is my first year at Chapman University. I am a business major. I am from Turkey. I studied high school in Springfield near Boston, then decided to come here because of the weather. The interesting fact about me is that I have a twin brother. He studies in University of San Diego. We used to fight a lot when we were young and didn't get along very well; however, we are really connected each other right now and I am glad because of that. Finally, It is good to know there is always someone you can rely on whenever you need.