Bringing Italian language and culture to the local youth

This semester, Sarina Welsh, who is pursuing the new interdisciplinary B.A. in Global Communication and Italian, created a completely new Italian language and culture class for the kids of Higher Ground, a nonprofit organization dedicated to mentoring and empowering youth in Anaheim.

Sarina Welsh: “Since I was curious about teaching as a future career path, this semester, my Italian professors helped me create an individual study as part of my major and introduced me to Higher Ground. I decided to create something new for the kids by opening them to Italian language and culture. We sang songs, made risotto and cannolis, learned Italian animal expressions, and practiced basic introduction in Italian. I loved sharing my passion for Italy with them. It was an unforgettable experience, and now the kids of Higher Ground are hungry for more!”

Sarina will be leaving this summer for a new internship with the Thai-Italian Chamber of Commerce in Bangkok. Avanti tutta, Sarina!

Below, Sarina with her class.

This entry was posted in Community, Italy Today, Students Success. Bookmark the permalink.